In this article, I want to continue the theme of pondering the ideal management of a state using 100% digitalization and automation of processes. In the previous publication, with the help of ChatGPT, I showed that even AI, as of today, can provide a perfectly adequate response to this question. Today, I will share my vision of this solution.
First, we must understand that this solution is no different from any other in terms of system architecture and development. Therefore, the construction of this solution should be conducted according to the canons of system design.
Main system requirements
Let’s start by defining the system requirements from the customers’ perspective. Among our customers are the citizens of the country, employees of state agencies. Yes, unfortunately, until the appearance of robots, we cannot completely remove people from the management of the country. However, we can minimize the possibility of interference in the system.
So, what we would like to have:
- People should directly control every aspect of the state
- The system must be 100% transparent, so that anyone wishing can monitor its state and processes within their authority and contribution.
- The system must be anonymous in decision-making to exclude the possibility of pressure and persecution.
- The system must have the ability to create a controlled hierarchy, to simplify management.
- The system must guarantee the impossibility of forging a signature or document.
- The system must log absolutely all actions occurring within it, with the possibility for anyone wishing to become part of the system of replication and control. To make it impossible to delete any historical data.
- The system must guarantee the anonymity of personal data, and give control over their disclosure to the person to whom they belong, as well as in certain cases to people with certain access by a common decision.
- The system must log the actions of a person through personal devices 24/7 for the purpose of ensuring their safety, which can be used as first-degree evidence in court.
- The systems of judicial, law enforcement, and legislative authority rest on any citizen willing to engage in this with consideration of their qualifications. For example, any citizen has the right to physically detain a wanted criminal and use any means to detain them in case of resistance according to the level of their offense.
- The system must provide maximum control over the payment of taxes, excluding healthcare and the military.
- The system must simplify correct actions and behavior as much as possible and make incorrect ones as complicated as possible. That is, the law must be enforced as much as possible at the system level with partial violation, not constant control.
I think that’s enough for a start.
- The data storage system must be implemented using chain-hashing to create dependencies and complicate the possibility of retroactive data modification.
- The system must allow verification, replication, and control by any external user. To ensure data integrity and backup in case of hacking attempts.
- All operations in the system occur using a personal or MultiSig (group) key.
- The system must provide the capability of automatic data integrity control for each connected device. For example, a mobile client periodically compares the hashes of its operations in history and, in case they are not found, signals the system.
- The system must be 100% self-recoverable in the event of a failure of even 2/3 of the system.
- The system must be built on the principles of Zero Trust & No single point of failure.
- The system must support real-time loads to allow the participation of the entire population in its processes. Delays are permissible for some processes, including as an anti-DDoS measure.
- The system code is open and can be updated by anyone willing.
- The system operates only with internal data. External sources, for example, another state, can only be considered as information for initiating review within the system.
I think that’s also enough to understand the level of complexity.
Every user of the system is entered into the system at the moment of their birth, signed by their parents as well as by a certain number of external observers (doctors, medical staff, anyone willing).
At the moment of reaching adulthood, they generate a Root Key based on their parents’ keys and a passphrase. Other keys are created based on this key for signing, so that in case of loss, the user can personally generate a new one and delete the previous one. Private keys are held by the user, public keys are transferred to the system.
To control access to data, as well as control over their transfer, all data in the system is encrypted, generated by keys based on the keys of government bodies (Multisig) as well as personal ones.
This allows access to data either by consent or by authorities.
Any access to data is logged, and the user receives a notification.
It is also possible to create a separate key for decrypting data by voting a certain percentage of citizens. For example, if someone is caught in corruption or something similar.
It is clear that our system needs to be updated, not only in terms of laws but also technically (unfortunately, bugs are everywhere).
The process for this is identical. Each resource of the system has a certain level of criticality, for example, the constitution has the highest, and the UI of a mobile application has an extremely low one.
Depending on the criticality of the resource being updated, it is assigned a number of confirmations from citizens for approval.
The system update, after approval, occurs 100% automatically without human intervention.
To reduce the load on citizens, since there can be quite a lot of such updates considering the volume of the system, gradual notification and the ability to subscribe to certain types of notifications are additionally introduced, for example, laws only, mobile application only.
Everyone does what they do best.
I think you’ve all thought about how much each person will have to decide and how slow everything will be in a flat implementation of the system. That’s why we’ll add a hierarchy to it, unfortunately, it’s necessary.
Every citizen possesses a certain Voting Power, which is calculated based on their actions to improve the system and the state (for example, if you are a volunteer, patron, architect of the system resource, etc.), as well as on the Voting Power transferred to them by other citizens. Importantly, we can both give and take away. This guarantees that a person acting in a political role can be removed from office at any moment by the decision of all those who have transferred their Voting Power to him.
In addition, Voting Power has categories, and you may have a different amount in each of them. For example, upon reaching adulthood, you receive 1 vote for voting in general areas, such as laws. But, for instance, in the area of system code updates, you have 0 votes. And to accumulate them, you need to start contributing updates to the system’s code.
Thus, we ensure professional assessment and complicate the pressure on the system by distributing benefits to pensioners.
It’s worth noting that the allocation of votes is done exclusively by people, the system only notifies about it, but for violations of the system’s laws, votes are deducted automatically. For example, a murderer loses the right to vote forever, as well as a person who has reached an age when their judgments are inadequate.
All this is done to maximize the connection between people and motivate them to do well for others.
Taxes are probably the main foundation for a state, but unfortunately, all countries currently use a scheme from the times of slave ownership. This scheme is the basis for the growth of corruption. Because if you can easily manage the budget, you can also easily profit from it.
Therefore, I propose an option that will simply take away the feeding base from the corrupt officials and also create excellent motivation for positive changes in state services.
The essence of the proposed solution is maximally simple.
- All taxes are paid exclusively from the citizen’s expenditures, not upon receipt as it is now. This, in turn, guarantees that taxes will be paid automatically, the person doesn’t need to think about reports, papers, and the like, and also makes tax evasion impossible.
- All taxes are transformed into the provision of services. Moreover, any person or company can provide these services.
- A person pays taxes to their personal account, from which they later actually pay the taxes with their Voting Power.
- The payment from the tax account is made by the person at their discretion, but within a certain period. That is, you have, for example, 3 months to decide whom to transfer the money to.
This works in the following way. You bought a car, and a tax was added to the price of the car at the time of purchase, let’s say 5%. This money went to your personal tax account. Let’s say it’s $1000.
Now, within 3 months, you can transfer this money to support the country’s services, for example, education, roads, housing construction, etc. At the same time, you can choose as specifically as possible, for example, I want to transfer $500 to the school where my child studies.
Of course, this is a very simplified representation. Because in reality, there will be certain nuances. Well, for example, it is clear that the city hospital will receive more money than the rural one, but people must be treated equally well everywhere. Therefore, it will be necessary to add a certain balance and a recommendation system.
Here, you can do it by force, but I imagine it rather through recommendations and donations. That is, to engage people to think not only about themselves but also about others.
In addition, a person has the opportunity to help beyond the tax, as charity, receiving a rating increase in the system for this. Moreover, both the amount and the percentage of income will be taken into account so that a not wealthy person doing good receives a comparable increase in rating as a millionaire.
Any citizen can propose a new law or amend an existing one.
The process is as follows:
- They must personally gather a group of people to sign their petition for the amendment, as an initial filter of adequacy.
- After signing, the law is reviewed by legal experts and goes through several rounds of verification.
- If not okay — it returns for revision with a description of the problems, and everything starts from step 1.
- If okay — it goes to a vote, according to the scheme mentioned above.
- If voted in by the majority (the majority required varies for different laws. For example, a regular law 50%, constitutional — 75%) then the law is immediately adopted into the system with a specified implementation period.
The judicial system is transitioning to case law, with automatic searching, among other nuances.
- Minor violations can be automatically reviewed using AI, and the individual has the right to disagree (submit a bug report), in which case the matter will be transferred to human review. However, if an individual attempts to deceive, they will be fined the cost of time for the people who participated in the process. This could also be considered as insurance payment.
- Medium violations are conducted by more than three judges, with AI oversight and recommendations, as well as a small number of random citizens based on the case’s specialization. Non-criminal cases can be considered without a jury, provided that the court’s decision does not significantly diverge from the AI’s.
- For serious cases, the presence of a jury is mandatory. The participation of selected jurors is required. Additional jurors may also be added at will. For all jurors, the system automatically monitors the absence of connections between them and any potential bias concerning the issue.
Appeals are submitted according to the same principle as law amendments, only the review and control are conducted by judicial experts.
Here, everything is much simpler. Every citizen of a certain age and in the absence of medical contraindications receives the right to detain various types of criminals through a Personal Logging System.
Every citizen without contraindications is required to carry a pistol at all times.
Access to the search for serious criminals is granted exclusively to people with professional training; for others, the law of self-defense applies, and they are obliged to notify the system if they see a criminal.
A reward is established for the search for criminals. Moreover, any citizen can increase this reward by transferring their funds to the capture fund.
All individuals involved in serious crimes are added to a database for automatic search through cameras across the country. Similarly, their keys are blocked, meaning all their associated assets are inaccessible.
Thus, a country is created where the police are not needed, and their functions are performed by trained, prepared people motivated to do their job well.
All healthcare in the state is completely free. No one should die simply because they do not have money for surgery.
On the other hand, we understand that money does not grow on trees, and treating millions of sick people is something no country’s budget can afford.
Therefore, to avoid spending billions on treatment, we will treat people at the early stages of diseases, thereby making the process tens or even hundreds of times cheaper.
For this purpose, rules for mandatory medical observation are introduced. If a person does not attend without any serious reason and then falls ill during this period, the treatment will be carried out at their expense.
Also, to reduce the cost of treatment, drugs are produced as much as possible within the country, their legality in relation to other countries is irrelevant, but restrictions are placed on the use of drugs obtained not entirely legally only for citizens of the country and a ban on their export.
Personal Logging System
To control all a person’s actions and their legality, especially when working with weapons, a personal recording device is used, which captures video, audio, the person’s physiological state, and verifies that the device carrier is the person to whom the device is assigned. Wearing such a device is not mandatory, but its presence in cases where a clear decision on a person’s actions is difficult to make will be very beneficial to its user, as it will provide irrefutable evidence of real events.
All information sources record data and log it in archives to the maximum extent. Access to this data is possible but only in the context of legal proceedings and only for specific situations or individuals. Access is granted exclusively by the system, and any external access to it is impossible.
This is a rather complex topic in terms of balance, and therefore, in my experience, it should be automated and automatically adjusted relative to the data in the system.
Simply put, for every action that benefits the system, a person will receive votes in areas, increase their social rating, and also receive money.
The system’s task will be to create conditions to minimize the resources spent on its maintenance. In simpler terms, to reduce the necessary budget of the country for its existence.
This will be achieved by reducing expenses in various areas. For example:
- Fewer people getting sick means less spending on their treatment.
- Fewer people committing crimes means less need for their capture, trials, maintenance, etc.
- People completing work faster means less resources spent.
- A clearer and more perfect law means fewer trials and disputes.
- Happier people means less illness and trouble.
- The smarter people are, the faster they improve the systems and the world around them.
Disclaimer: This is just a sketch of system ideas, partly based on my direct experience and partly on ideas and reflections.
Creating, and even describing such a system, is not a task of one month or maybe even a year, so please don’t judge too harshly if you notice any imperfections. But for me, it’s at least a good start :)
If you liked the article, don’t forget to applaud, follow me on my Medium, and also on my LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/in/creotiv/
And if you really liked it, I would appreciate donations to the fund for helping sick homeless animals https://uah.fund/donate
The more your support — the more motivation to continue writing interesting things :)